The Greater Madison Jazz Consortium is a new partnership of
- Madison Music Collective
- Wisconsin Union Theater
- Madison Jazz Society
- Midwest Gypsy Swing Festival
- UW School of Music
- Madison Metropolitan School District Fine Arts Office
- Madison Jazz
- WORT-FM, with additional support from the Jazz Institute of Chicago and local media (Isthmus and Capital City Hues).
Working together, these partners will pursue five common goals aimed at creating a more vibrant and sustainable local jazz scene: Read More…
Jazz at Five is a downtown Madison tradition. Each August the series provides exceptional free jazz concerts in a stunning locale—the 100 block of State Street, where State Street meets the Capitol Square. When the sun is shining and the music is flowing, there is no better place to be than at Jazz at Five.
In addition to the special setting, Jazz at Five features the best local, regional, and national jazz talent. That’s why Jazz at Five is one of the most important free, non-profit cultural music series in Dane County. Read More…
Madison Jazz is a nonprofit organization that runs two programs: this website and an all-ages jazz jam.
- Madison Jazz (online jazz guide): You are here. As you can see our guide includes a complete calendar of jazz events, articles and multimedia covering the local jazz scene, a list of musicians, and more. It is your one-stop source for jazz in Madison.
- Madison Jazz Jam is an all-ages, educational jazz jam held the 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month from 4-7pm at The Fountain, 122 State Street. The Madison Jazz Jam website has much more information about the jam as well as educational resources for musicians.
Formed in 1984, the Madison Jazz Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting jazz music. We are located in Madison, Wisconsin, where we host jazz concerts and our annual Capital City Jazz Festival.
We celebrate the art of jazz by organizing frequent concerts as well as an annual jazz festival, providing grants to students, connecting with other jazz organizations in the country, and ensuring jazz enthusiasts are informed about jazz-related news in the area. Read More…
We are an all-volunteer, nonprofit membership organization comprised of musicians and listeners who share a passion for jazz and other forms of improvised music.
We promote a wide stylistic range of music, ranging from the jazz mainstream to the avant-garde. We offer a seasonal series of concerts and educational programs, Fall through Spring, in venues that are respectful to performer and audience. And, twice yearly, we sponsor a concert featuring a nationally known jazz artist in a major local venue like the Wisconsin Union Theater and the Overture Center. Read More….
Laurie Lang is a jazz musician, mother, teacher, friend and lover of beautiful music that expresses something from the soul. Improvisational Music Workshop (IMW) is her project in the Madison area to strengthen community around true ensemble playing, musical creating, building relationships among musicians and creating a safe place to grow in individual and group music making.
Each workshop identifies the “musical glue” that holds the ensemble together and then invites audience members to the stage to join in creating that glue and sound. Read More…